Did you know customers are more likely to notice mannequins than any other fixture in your store or window display? This is simply because mannequins look like them. Read on for six ways to dress a form to add to your store’s environment.
How to Dress Mannequins
- Be dramatic: Think of items you can style on your form. The goal is to spark interest to products customer wouldn’t have otherwise thought of to increase sales. Pro tip: use items that are experiencing a sales slump!
- Add-on: Consider adding surprise items, such as a button necklace, to your mannequin. This might entice shoppers to head to your lightly visited button area in the corner of your store.
- Tell a story: Use your mannequin to tell a story about the product. It’s a much more effective way of connecting with customers compared to showing a slew of choices in a strewn-out manner.
- Think light: Less is more. Try not to overdue props or supplies as the product should stand for itself.
- Try marketing: Use your mannequin in social media. Consider adding a competition for followers to name the mannequin (where the winner gets a prize)!
- Be intentional with color: Colors that highlight current trends (think Pantone’s Color of the Year) are a great way to show your signature style.
Inspiration for this post came from “Dress Them Up” by Anna Woodward published in the August 2022 issue of American Quilt Retailer.
If you’re looking for more information to guide you in owning a retail business, subscribe to American Quilt Retailer today. Already a subscriber? No worries—join our Facebook group for insights and dialogue from industry specialists like you. And don’t forget, you can always purchase single issues if you prefer that instead.