Announcing New Spring Fabric Lines!
New lines this Spring from Benartex, Kanvas & Contempo! Visit our website to see all these collections and more! Be sure to log in for access to our Virtual Quilt Market videos.
- Cherry Guidry’s Planted with Love
- Ricky Tim’s Lizzy Albright
- Sandra Sider’s Votes for Women
- Ann Lauer’s Cat-i-tude Singing the Blues
- Jackie Robinson’s Accent on Sunflowers
- Modern Quilt Studio’s Vintage
- Amanda Murphy’s Crescendo
- Christa Watson’s Good Vibes
- Cheryl Haynes’ Colorful Cats
- Andi Metz’s Thing Pawsitive
- Pat Sloan’s Morison Park
- Afternoon Delight, Aristocats, Morning Melody, The Great Frame Up, and What’s for Dinner Placemant at Table Runner (by Ann Lauer of Grizzly Gulch Gallery, using Cat-i-tude. Purchasable pattern)
- Welcome to the Cellar (by Heidi Pridemore, using Cheers to You by Kanvas Studio. Purchasable pattern)
- Cork and Label Runner (by Stephanie Sheridan, using Cheers to You by Kanvas Studio)
- Garden Tour (by Pat Sloan, using Morrison Park by Pat Sloan)
- Meow Mix (by Ann Lauer, using Cat-i-tude)
- Ultimate Travel Bag 2.0, Take a Stand, and Under Cover (by Annie, using Morrison Park by Pat Sloan)
- Rainbow Dream (by Tailormade by Design, using Unicorn Magic by Kanvas Studio)
- Magical Moments (by Heidi Pridemore, using Unicorn Magic by Kanvas Studio. Purchasable pattern)
- Wine Bar (by Stephanie Sheridan, using Cheers to You by Kanvas Studio)
Remembering Selim Benardete
Selim Benardete, born February 5, 1928 in Istanbul Turkey, very peacefully ended his beautiful journey on April 24, 2020 at his home in Manhattan, NY. He is survived by his loving wife of 66 years, Luna; his children, Steven (wife Judith) and Nancy (husband Jacky); and his grandchildren, Alina, Mario, and Emma.
“Mr. B” is a nickname for Selim Benardete, the founder of Benartex. Born and raised in Turkey, textiles had always been a part of his life. His father owned a textile business in Turkey, so it was not surprising that when Mr. B came to the US, he followed those textile footsteps and received a Master’s degree in Textile Engineering. He founded Benartex in 1980, originally selling specialty fabrics for apparel.
Always interested and curious, Mr. B began hearing about “quilting fabrics.” He made arrangements to visit some quilt shows and soon “fell in love with quilting.” It was not uncommon to find Mr. B on a Saturday visiting a show or talking on the phone with quilters. He eventually changed the Benartex focus from specialty fabrics to 100% co on fabrics.
The rest is history, as Benartex soon became the primary name associated with fine quilting fabrics. Mr. B’s commitment to the quilting world, his attendance at quilt shows and his availability to quilters earned him the name “The Quilter’s Friend.”
Mr. B retied in 2003, but we still relied upon “The Quilter’s Friend” for honest opinions and refreshing new suggestions on the industry. During his retirement he traveled extensively and became a master bridge player. He will be remembered as a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather; the founder of Benartex; and an active and generous philanthropist. His most passionate philanthropic achievement is the Luna and Selim Benardete Bridge to College Fund, which he founded with his wife through the Israel Scholarship Education Foundation. The fund empowers underprivileged teens across Israel to pursue a college education.