The results of the 2022 Quilters’ Survey from Premier Needles Arts are in! And all signs point to the industry continuing to grow. Read on for more insights from the survey.
- In the United States and Canada 85 million creatives account for $35 billion in sales.
- The quilting industry anticipates approaching $5 billion by 2026-27, indicating stable and solid growth.
- The average quilter started her first quilt in her 50s when there was time, space, and income to quilt.
- The average quilter is still driven by women in their 60s.
- There are an estimated 30 million active sewists (a slight decrease from the peak of the pandemic).
- Digital learning is in high demand through both YouTube and other digital media.
- Quilters utilize social media daily for connecting but still prefer being in-person.
A few industry panelists share their takeaways from the survey results.
Mark Hyland, CEO of Premier Needle Arts encourages collaboration as a community to boost the industry and feed consumers’ passion and enthusiasm.
On the manufacturing side, lack of fabric reorder-ability is a concern for customers and availability of products is key, according to Brittany Gray, president of EE Schenck.
And finally Heidi Kaisand, publisher of Creative Retailer and owner of Hen & Chicks Studio, said video is helping to bring personalities of stores into customer homes in a much bigger way.
Inspiration for this post comes from “Creative Retailer Goes to Market” by Managing Editor Millie Kehrli published in the December 2022 issue of Creative Retailer.
If you’re looking for more information to guide you in owning a retail business, subscribe to Creative Retailer today. Already a subscriber? No worries—join our Facebook group for insights and dialogue from industry specialists like you. And don’t forget, you can always purchase single issues if you prefer that instead.
If you still can’t get enough, register for the Creative Retailer LIVE Spring 2023 event May 2-4 in Pawhuska, Oklahoma for opportunities to learn from peers and network with industry professionals.